I Want Or I Will

  Having just recently returned from two different youth Bible schools, I've had a lot on my mind recently. I was able to attend Ephrata YBS  I've attended for the past three years and also Harmony YBS in Myerstown PA, which was a first.
Harmony Youth Bible School Choir

   David Alspaugh on Wednesday evening on at Harmony YBS  spoke on "Turning The Hearts Of The Youth To Their Parents" 
   He shared practical ways to turn your heart to your parents:
   -Turn your heart towards God("I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.")
   -Honor your father and your mother
      *Honor* a weighty reverence, that holds in high esteem, deep respect, to look up to with honor and respect.
   -Admire them for who they are not for who you wish they were.
   -Always speak well to and about your parents.
   -Listen to, cherish and hide in your heart what your parents teach you
   -Honor others as well as your parents
   -Enrich our relationships with our siblings, be an intercessor for them and speak well of your parents to them. Siblings hold such high influence on younger siblings.
   -Love them with affection. Pray that any obstacles that stand in the way may be removed.

   -Love them through difficult situations
   -Communicate with your parents
   -Speak often to them
   -Seek free and open communication
   -Ask god for ways to sincerely thank and show your appreciation for your parents.
   -Have patience with them.
   -Forgive them

 
My amazing prayer group at Harmony

  The Lord showed me that I needed to work on was my relationship with my parents. No, my relationship with my mom and dad isn't bad at all, we have a very very good relationship but it could be better and more open, not that I'm hiding anything, also for me to be more open to their leading and guidance, for me to go willingly to them with hard things, struggles etc.
     
  I think it was the next day when one of the speakers spoke a sermon titled "I Want or I Will.

  One thing I think many youth Bible school students have trouble with when getting home is falling back into old patterns even after God showing us things to work on and change during the week at YBS. I've found this the problem so many times in my life. God convicts us of things that need changing, thing to get rid of, to work on etc. We get all excited about about going home and putting into practice what we've learned but when "real" live hits us back home again we fall back into old patterns.
   He spoke about how we must "Get past the "I want to"  and get to the "I will".
  This message really spoke to me, God really used it to show me that I can't make these changes on my own but with Gods grace if I WILL to do it I can!
   "I want to be more like Jesus or with God's power I will be more like Jesus"
   "I will be more faithful with my quiet time with God of I will"
   "I want to pursue better relationships with my parents and siblings or I will pursue better relationships"
   "I want to give Jesus Christ first place in my life or I will by His grace"
"If we WILL to live for God the obstacles in our life will become stepping stones in our walk"

  I thought a lot about both these messages! By God's grace I willed to make these changes and seek a deeper relationship with my parents and after coming home I had to take that first step and talk with them. Thankfully I got an opportunity the day after coming home to go out with them to pick up a few things and was able to ask for their input in my life, way that they think I should change or areas to work on. I just want to encourage anyone, even if you have a "good" relationship with your parents to seek a better one. Open up more, ask for their input, ask them about areas they think you can grow in etc. It's very humbling but it is worth it!

  "All growth depends upon activity. There is no development physically or intellectually without effort, and effort means work. Work is not a curse; it is the prerogative of intelligence, the only means to manhood, and the measure of civilization."


It was such a blessing to spend two weeks with one of my best friends!

    Keep seeking Christ ALONE and growing in Him!

Comments

  1. I love your blog ,Charity!!
    you inspire me. and I'm excited to see where
    God will take you in the future.
    continue to trust Him. He is SO worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww thanks Melissa! You're so sweet:)
    May God bless you as you continue to seek His will for your life!
    I actually will be a student at Harmony this year,so I'll see ya next week:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love hearing from y'all!

Popular Posts